Published: 30 March 2021
The task of the Swedish Election Authority
The Swedish Election Authority is centrally responsible for planning and coordinating the implementation of elections and national referenda.
The Swedish Election Authority is tasked with the following:
- determining the outcome of an election and appoint members and substitutes to the Riksdag and the European Parliament.
- producing election materials such as voting cards, ballot papers, vote envelopes, and electoral rolls.
- receiving notices from parties registering for the election and registering party denominations.
- handling the election administration’s operational support.
- informing voters of when, where, and how the election is held.
- preparing instructions and educational materials for county administrative boards and municipal electoral boards.
The Swedish Election Authority is also responsible for coordinating the process of verification of statements of support within the framework of the European Citizens’ Initiative (ECI).