Published: 18 February 2020
The task of the Swedish Election Authority
The Swedish Election Authority is centrally responsible for planning and coordinating the implementation of elections and national referenda.
The Swedish Election Authority has the following responsibilities:
- Determine the results of an election and appoint delegates and replacements for the national parliament and the European parliament,
- create documents and educational materials for county administrative boards and municipal electoral boards,
- produce election materials such as voter cards, ballots, ballot envelopes and electoral rolls,
- inform voters about when, where and how an election is carried out,
- receive party registrations to the election as well as register party designations,
- take responsibility for the election administration’s operational support.
The Swedish Election Authority is also responsible for coordinating the process of verification of statements of support within the framework of the European Citizens’ Initiative (ECI).